Sporting talent from around the borough was honoured at the Surrey Heath Sports Awards held on Sunday 12th September at the Camberley Theatre.
Nominations were put forward by local clubs, coaches, schools and National Governing Bodies (NGBs).
Held at the Camberley Theatre, the awards ceremony was attended by hundreds of players, coaches and volunteers from across the borough as well as the Mayor of Surrey Heath, Councillor John May.
All award winners will be automatically entered into the county-wide Surrey Sports Awards which in 2009 saw Surrey Heath land three category winners.
Sports Club of the Year Winner – Mytchett Athletic FC
- Formed in 1971 to provide footballing opportunities for boys and girls aged 6 to 17.
- FA Charter Standard Club.
- Worked with the Surrey FA to start the first SEN/Disability football team in Surrey Heath.
- Launched a youth leadership programme creating volunteers from it’s existing pool of young players.
- Seven fourteen year olds have now completed 2 FA certified courses and regularly support Mytchett Athletic Teams as well as various Surrey FA events like the Surrey Youth Games & Playground to Podium.
Young Volunteer of the Year Award Winner – Paris Hutt
- Volunteers for the Surrey FA, Mytchett Athletic, Tomlinscote School and Lakeside Primary School, building up over 40 hours.
- Helps coach the Disability Team for Mytchett Athletic every Sunday and at Monthly tournaments. In particular helping 2 young players who have Cerebal Palsy.
- Helps referee at Primary School Tournaments and volunteered at both the Surrey Heath Show and Surrey Youth Games.
- Supports Lakeside Primary School’s Fete’s by running stalls and helping with refreshments.
- Recently named the FA’s Regional Young Volunteer of the Year.